TAS is a very broad area of study that can be easily adapted to meet the needs and interests of all students. As a result, it allows all students to succeed in and beyond their schooling through the development of life-long skills.
The TAS faculty supports the strong academic and cultural traditions of Coonabarabran High School by developing comprehensive programs that foster positive learning environments and encourage individual achievement.
TAS courses offered at Coonabarabran High School:
Technology (Mandatory) Years 7 & 8
The students rotate each term through the following areas: Agriculture, Coding, Food, Metal and Textiles. Practical tasks being completed throughout 2018 include:
Year 7 manufacture a tool box in Metal, plant and tend to vegetable gardens in Agriculture, manipulate coding using the Arduino boards, create delicious & healthy foods in Food, appliqué a pencil case in Textiles as well as learn keyboarding and basic computer skills within most of the classes.
Year 8 produce wooden toys and a Breakfast Serving tray in Timber, hone their Livestock skills in Agriculture, manufacture a coat/hat rack in Metal and taste food from around the world in Food.
Agriculture Years 9 & 10
Agricultural students study animal and plant production, complete animal and plant trials, plant and tend to vegetable gardens and participate in Ag Skills Day.
Years 11 & 12
This course provides students with the opportunity to study the interactions between the components of agricultural production, marketing and management, while giving consideration to the issue of sustainability of the farming system. A Farm Product Study is used as a basis for analysing and addressing social, environmental and economic issues as they relate to sustainability.
Design and Technology Years 11 & 12
Year 11 Design and Technology students complete two main projects: in 2018 they up-cycling any and learn about sustainability through the practical use of shipping containers. This allows the students to build a solid foundation for their HSC major project by developing their design skills and expectations for the folio component of their project.
Year 12 Design and Technology students design and create an individual innovative Major Design Project which includes an 80 page folio of supporting documentation and evidence. This project is marked by external markers.
Engineering Studies Years 11 & 12
This course provides students with the opportunity to study engineering by investigating a range of applications and fields of engineering. Students learn about historical and societal influences, the scope of the profession and develop skills in technical communication. Students apply knowledge of engineering mechanics, hydraulics, electricity, electronics and engineering materials to solve engineering problems
Years 9 & 10
Students study the following units over a two year period, which includes a weekly practical lesson directly related the information being studied: Food in Australia (including Bush Tucker), Food Product Development, Food Selection and Health, Food for Special Occasions, Food Trends, Food Equity, Food for Special Needs and Food Service and Catering.
Years 11 & 12
This course provides students with the opportunity to develop broad knowledge and understanding about nutrition, diet and health in Australia, food availability and selection. Students investigate the Australian Food Industry, the production, processing, packaging, storage and distribution of food and the marketing of food products. Practical skills in developing, experimenting, planning, preparing and presenting food are integrated throughout the course.
Years 9 & 10
Projects completed during this course include: Bedside table, Occasional table, 3 piece puzzle, Chess board, foot stool.
Years 11 & 12
This course provides students with the opportunity to develop their knowledge and understanding of a selected industry and its related technologies. Through a process of observing and analysing industry practice and through personal practical experiences, students develop a broad range of skills and knowledge related to the focus area chosen for the course. The course highlights the importance of design, management and production through the production of practical projects. Students select and apply appropriate design, management and production skills in the development of a Major Project and supporting documentation.
Metals & Engineering VET Years 11 & 12
The Metals students develop their welding skills throughout the year preparing for two weeks of compulsory work placement in our Trade Training Centre. In 2017 the students manufactured an impressive array of projects including: a Tray back for a Ute, a stick rake and forklift for a tractor, a trailer and a weight bench press.
Primary Industries VET Years 11 & 12
This course provides the students with many wonderful opportunities to develop their industry skills through school based and off-site field trips. Experiences beyond the school environment include: attending Agricultural shows and local properties to complete competencies such as fencing and lamb marking. Within the school environment, the students play a significant part in Ag Skills Day. Students are required to complete 70 hours of compulsory Primary Industries work placement.
TAS Faculty facilities and resources:
Trade Training Centre
– Metal & Engineering/Hairdressing
1 Industrial Kitchen
1 Stainless Steel Food Technology Kitchen
2 Wood Work rooms
1 Textile & Design room
2 computer rooms
- Da Vinci Competition
- Industrial Technology Projects for the Community
- Year 12 Food Tech Assessment Task: Australian Food Industry/Food manufacture due 9 December 2020
- Assessment Task Notification Design & Technology
- Year 12 HSC Assessment Task Food Technology
- Year 11 Food Technology Assessment Task
- The Dragster Challenge Year 8 Mandatory Technology: Engineered Systems
- Engineering Fun! Catapult Challenge! Year 8 Technology
- Year 12 Design & Technology Assessment Task no. 3
- Year 11 Food Technology Assessment Task
- Year 12 Food Technology Food Product Development Assessment Task
- Mandatory Technology in Year 7 & 8, Term 2
- Year 11 Design & Technology Upcycling Assessment Task due 26 June 2020
- World Skills Awards
- Year 12 CAFS Assessment Notification: Social impact of technology due 9 April 2020
- Year 11 D&T Case Study due 6 April 2020
- Year 12 D& T Assessment Task 2 - Innovation and Emerging Technologies Case Study due 28 February 2020
- Indigenous Engineering
- Years 9 and 10 Commerce Assessment Task - Personal finance due 31 October 2019
- Year 12 D&T Assessment Task Project Proposal due Week 7 28 Nov 2019
- Year 11 Food Technology Assessment Task - Nutrition due 14 August 2019
- Year 11 CAFS Assessment Task - Families and Communities due 12 August 2019
- Industrial Tech cooks up a pizza!
- Year 11 D & T Assessment Notification - Sustainable Project Design due 3 July 2019
- HSC D&T Assessmnet task - Project Development and Realisation due 2 August
- Year 12 CAFS Assessment Task - Individuals and work due 29 March 2019
- HSC Design & Technology - Assessment Task 2 - Innovation and Emerging technologies Case Study
- Year 12 Design & Technology Assessment Notification - Project Proposal and Project Management - due 22 October 2018
- Year 9/10 Food Tech Assignment due Friday Week 8
- 2018 Major Projects Exhibition
- 2018 Year 11 CAFS Yearly Exam Revision Timetable
- Year 12 Food Technology Trial HSC Revision Timetable
- Year 12 CAFS Trial HSC Revision Timetable
- Year 11 CAFS Assessment Task Notification - Family & Communities due 13 August 2018
- Year 11 Design & Technology Preliminary Sustainable Project Design - due 29 June 2018
- Junior Examinations - Letter to Parents
- Year 11 CAFS Assessment Task - Individuals and Groups - due 21 May 2018
- Year 12 CAFS Assessment Task - Groups in context - due 22 June 2018
- Year 12 Food Technology Assessment Task - Food Product Development - due 1 June 2018
- HSC Design & Technology Assessment Task 3 - Project Development & Realisation - due 2 July 2018
- 2017 Major Projects Exhibition
- Textbook Returns
- Upper Hunter Beef Bonanza
- National Nutrition Week
- 2016 Major Projects Exhibition
- Ag Skills Day 2016
- Successful Pig Showing at Quirindi Show
- Year 12 Industrial Technology Wood Major Works
- Year 12 Design & Technology Major Works